Egyptian Kamut Kushari
1 cup organic kamut berries
1 cup lentils
1 cup whole grain elbow macaroni
Water, as needed
4 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
1⁄4 cup olive oil
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
1⁄2 tsp red pepper flakes
One 29-oz can tomato purée
Salt and pepper, to taste
2. Place kamut berries and 3 cups of water in a pot and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer until soft, about 1 hour. Drain off excess water.
3. Rinse lentils and place in a pot with 3 cups of water. Cover and bring to a boil. Let boil for 2 to 3 minutes then reduce heat to low and simmer until tender, about 25 to 30 minutes. Drain off excess water.
4. Cook macaroni in plenty of boiling salted water until tender, about 6 to 7 minutes. Drain.
5. While grains are cooking, prepare onions and tomato sauce. Heat oil in a pan on medium-high heat and cook sliced onions until brown and crispy, about 10 minutes.
Remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Season with salt.
6. In the same pan, add garlic, cumin, and red pepper flakes, and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add tomato purée and cook until heated through. Season with salt and pepper.
7. To serve, combine cooked kamut, lentils, and macaroni. Top with tomato sauce and crispy onions.
Nutrient Analysis per serving
Calories: 330; Total fat: 8 g; Sat fat: 1 g, Sodium: 420 mg; Total carbohydrates: 55 g; Dietary fiber: 14 g; Protein: 14 g
All Fitness __ Egyptian Kamut Kushari
— RECIPE AND PHOTO COURTESY OF BOB’S RED MILL