Asian Noodle Bowl with Spicy Almond Sauce
1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
3⁄4 lb whole wheat spaghetti
1⁄2 head broccoli (about 3⁄4 lb), tops cut into flowerets, stems peeled and sliced thinly
2 cups (about 4 oz) snow peas, trimmed
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
1⁄2 cup unsalted almond butter
1⁄4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
3 T fresh lime juice
2 T brown sugar
1 T chili-garlic sauce, such as Sriracha
1 scallion, green part only (about 3 T)
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
2. Toast the almonds in a dry skillet on medium heat, stirring frequently until they’re golden, about 3 minutes.
3. Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package. Three minutes before the pasta is ready, add the broccoli to the pasta pot. One minute before it’s ready, add the snow
peas and red peppers to the pot.
4. While the pasta is cooking, make the sauce. Place the almond butter, soy sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, chiligarlic sauce, and 3 T of boiling water from the pasta pot into a large bowl, and whisk until smooth.
5. Drain the noodles and vegetables, return them to the pasta pot, add the sauce and toss to coat. Serve garnished with the toasted almonds and scallion greens.
Nutrient Analysis per serving
Calories: 410; Total fat: 16 g; Sat fat: 1.5 g; Cholesterol: 85 mg; Sodium: 460 mg; Total carbohydrates: 60 g; Dietary fiber: 17 g; Protein: 15 g
All Fitness__ Asian Noodle Bowl with Spicy Almond Sauce
— RECIPE AND PHOTO COURTESY OF ELLIE KRIEGER, RD, FOR THE ALMOND BOARD OF CALIFORNIA