deconstructed Lasagna With Creamed Spinach, Chanterelles and Pine nuts
serves 6 *
oil, to grease the baking sheet 8 ounces chanterelle mushrooms, wiped clean, stems trimmed and cut lengthwise into ½-inch thick slices Kosher or fine sea salt
¼ cup pine nuts Creamed spinach with Chèvre (recipe follows)
12 ounces lasagna noodles
1 large ripe red tomato, cored and cut into ½-inch dice
4 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into ½-inch pieces
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
2. spread the chanterelles in a single layer on the baking sheet and sprinkle lightly with salt. Place in the oven and roast until they begin to dry out and turn golden, about 15 minutes. spread the pine nuts on the same baking sheet as the chanterelles. Continue in oven until pine nuts are toasted, about 5 minutes, then remove the tray from the oven and set aside.
3. Make the creamed spinach.
4. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Break the lasagna sheets into 4-by-1- inch pieces, add to the water and cook until al dente, about 7 minutes. Drain the noodles and return them to the pot.
add the chanterelles and toss to mix. gently stir in the creamed spinach, tomato and mozzarella, and season with salt. transfer to a large platter or serving bowl, sprinkle the pine nuts over the top and serve right away.
Creamed spinach With Chèvre
MaKES 2 CUPS
1 pound fresh baby spinach, leaves and tender stems only
1 tablespoon butter
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 cup heavy whipping cream
½ cup soft goat cheese, at room temperature Fine sea salt Freshly ground black or white pepper
1. rinse and drain the spinach and place it, still wet, in a large pot over medium-high heat until wilted but still bright green, about 5 minutes. Drain the spinach again, and when cool, squeeze out water and finely chop.
2. Melt the butter in a large saute pan over medium heat. add the garlic and saute until
softened, about 2 minutes.
add the cream and goat cheese and whisk until smooth and beginning to boil and thicken, about 2 minutes. stir in the spinach and season with salt and pepper. serve right away or set aside and reheat briefly before using.
Nutrition score per serving: 553 calories, 30g fat (16g saturated), 17g protein, 56g carbohydrates, 7g fiber, 271mg sodium
* note: Bold authors call for 4 servings, but we suggest 6 smaller portions.